Monday, August 27, 2007

The Bishop's arrival

Greetings to all from sunny Kimilili!

I tell you, even though we're in the middle of winter here in East Africa, the temperature is soaring! And as we're right on the equator here, the sun's extremely strong. Yet everyone keeps asking me why I'm not wearing my jumper - aren't I cold? I should take some of them to the Scottish Highlands, let them experience real UK winters!

The Bishop visited St James' Church yesterday. Since it was his first visit in three years, the excitement and anticipation as people awaited his arrival early in the morning was palpable. At 10.30, his vehicle entered the gates of the church, to be greeted with a full singing, dancing congregation. After taking some chai and ground nuts with the commoners (i.e. me) he began the service, which lasted around 4 hours. New vicars and evangelists were ordained, including the evangelist at Kibengei - Julius, and a line of 15 children clothed in their best white dresses and shirts successfully recited their confirmation answers with perfect precision. Then, an English visiting vicar delivered the sermon, and after the traditional speeches, we all filed out of the church. I was invited to eat the late lunch provided with the Bishop and the Archdeacons: a great honour. I didn't speak to the Bishop himself very extensively (mainly because he was busy eating) but I did give him many greetings from All Saints, which he received enthusiastically, responding likewise.

I haven't got the busiest day today, which is a nice change - I have some time to try and upload my photographs this afternoon, so wish me luck! It may take about half an hour to upload each one though, so I wouldn't hold your breath. Tomorrow we're handing over the house which Matthew and I built with the fellowship at Kamsinde last week. It won't be too long a ceremony though, as we have to leave the area before it's dark. There are tribal clashes on Mount Elgon, just north of Kimilili, and the police have just introduced a 6 p.m. curfew extending to the Kamsinde area. Don't worry though, we're nowhere near them here in Kimilili.

On Wednesday and Thursday, Matthew's allowing me to nourish my legal interests through visits to the Bungoma high court, and a local juvenile prison, which I'm sure will be particularly eye-opening. I'll report back!

Once again, I hope everyone is well, and enjoying the last few days of Summer. I can't believe that it will be nearly October when I return, I'll have to brace myself for a big drop in temperature!!

God bless,

Emma xx

2 comments:

Jo said...

Hey Emma,

Thought I would just pop in and check how your adventures were going with your mission to Kimilili for All Saints.
I love reading your stories and am really proud of how your coping, what a brilliant embassador you are.
I've got to say, seeing Rob write about his congregation eager to pray for you is really exciting. You know when you are in a true relationship with God because you are really hungry for more of Him and want Him to be part of everything you do. And during those quiet times when you feel lost and alone, He's still there, you just have to open your eyes. He is a loving and awesome Father.
You have brought a long awaited reality to the link between All Saints and Kimilili and I pray this is the start of a new and exciting mission link for All Saints that can grow with the work they have done in the past.
It's also a great president for the younger members who can start to look at a future of mission within thier own church. Rob's already building brilliant foundations upon the plans God has given and its quite something to think you are part of those plans.
So you carry on the great work Emma and enjoy every minute. You're doing a great job and I'm proud of you, as I'm sure many others are.
And remember, God's a pretty cool guy, He understands you.
Have a safe journey when you leave Kimilili and have fun!

Love Jo Nicholson (Ex Admin/All Saints).

BeccaEnfys said...

Siwd mae Emma?!

I've just read all your stories! Very exciting...and hot, it seems. I think you need to eat more though...
I could send you some fresh Krispy Kremes next week if you like...!

Very proud of you, and wishing you all the love in the world. ever.part 2

Na coupenda,
Llyr xxx