Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hello all!

Very short post today I'm afraid, as I only have a little time before the cyber cafe I'm in at the Icfem compound shuts. It gets dark at 6.30-7 ish here, so everything tends to shut early. What with power cuts (at least twice a day now) and my hectic schedule, I haven't been able to write this week. So this is just a quickie to let you all know that I'm doing extremely well - as they say here, I'm "very fine!"

On Saturday, I experienced a Kenyan wedding. The bride was 3 hours late, the church was decorated with tinsel, and I'm sure over 50 people there had never met the bride or groom, or hadn't the remotest connection to either of their families. Oh yes, and the present giving ceremony, after the rings had been exchanged, involved 2 goats and a sheep being brought down the aisle, as well as a heavy mahogany double bed, mattresses, and a full wardrobe! It was all thoroughly enjoyable! And I think I'm still sleeping well from the exercise - 7 hours of dancing really sheds the pounds!

On Sunday, I again went to Kibengei for the service, after which I had lunch with the congregation. I received many gifts and greetings for you all at All Saints, and for myself...a live chicken. I've given her (she's called Grace) to Solomon's wife Ruth, with strict instructions to let her live a long and happy life, producing eggs for the family. Rule number 1 - no slaughtering!

Since Sunday, we've been builing a house for an old man which I'm personally going to fundraise for when I get back. Much hammering, digging...and playing with the local village children. (Actually, it's been Matthew and the other men who've been doing the hard work...i've mostly been keeping the latter occupied!)

Right, I'd better be off, we're about to close. The Bishop's visiting the mother parish, St James, on Sunday, so that will be an interesting (and possibly rather long..) day! I'm also looking forward to taking some time out and going to see some nearby waterfalls on Saturday morning with Matthew and another guy who works at Icfem - Tony.

Hope you're all well, and thankyou so much for all of your prayers

Emma

1 comment:

DandT said...

Hi Emma. We have so enjoyed reading your blogs and keeping up with what you have been doing. The children in Little Saints ask for an update each Sunday and then we pray for you.The wedding sounded great fun. I would so like to have been there. What have you called your hen? We look forward to seeing your photographs when you get back. In the meantime take of yourself.We continue to pray for you and those you are with. love tim,deidre & littlesaints.